Friday

Bookin' It

Wendy tagged me with a book-themed meme:

1. Name one book that changed your life.

Fred Chappell's It is Time, Lord. I first read this when I was 17 and was amazed at the way Chappell captured the language and atmosphere of the South. This book still has a profound affect on me.

2. Name one book you have read more than once.

I have read It is Time, Lord three times. I have also read Steinbeck's Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights three times. I first read the latter when I was 15. I thought it was cool that Steinbeck wrote such a book and that no one seemed to know.

3. Name one book you would want on a desert island.

The Bible is the obvious choice for me, if for no other reason than it contains examples of almost every genre. Other reasons exist, though, of course.

4. Name one book that made you cry.

Good Hearts by Reynolds Price.

5. Name one book that made you laugh.

A Short History of a Small Place by T. R. Pearson made me laugh aloud and seek someone to whom to read it. How to Eat Fried Worms made me laugh. Johnathan Franzen's The Corrections made me laugh (and almost cry) and inspired me to write.

6. Name one book you wish had been written.

What You Should Do in November 1999 should have been written.

7. Name one book you wish had never been written.

I love books, but if I have to choose one here... off the top of my head, I'd say Earth in the Balance.

8. Name one book you are currently reading.

John Marshall and the Heroic Age of the Supreme Court (Newmyer)
Chronicles: Volume One (Dylan)
Fire Sale (Paretsky)

9. Name one book you have been meaning to read.

Having read The Name of the Rose, I have been meaning to read Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.

10. Tag three more.

It's up to you guys, but I'd be interested in reading how you respond.
I suggest that Lime, Shhhh, and Phain answer the questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment